Thursday, April 22, 2010

FM!

I stepped into family medicine in fear for one main reason: what if I didn't like it?

March Break led to a completely satisfied, content decision to let go of paeds and pursue family medicine and the biggest fear was, after making the decision - what if I didn't want to do it afterall? and what if I actually should be doing paeds?

Thankfully, after only four days of family medicine, I can say that I absolutely love this. I love going from one age group to another. I love the variety. I love the small little problems. I love when there is a more challenging case. I love the relationships with the patients. I love being their guardian of health and helping them empower themselves. I love it. I love organizing their lives in terms of investigations and screening procedures. I love it!

And I love good patients - the ones who are just so honest and say, well doc, I haven't been doing that. Or those others who say, well, I have no idea what to do, you know best so you just tell me what to do. I like both those types of patients. I love the little kids. I love the elderly couples. I love hearing about widows who now have new lady or boy friends to spend their lonely nights together. I love the elderly couples who are still coming to the doctor together with their own list of issues.

I love it.

I love the family nature of everything.

I've always openly seen others as part of my family. And in fact, being in family medicine, I see those patients as family, and they see their doctors as family with some boundaries of course.

I love it.

This is the right field I think!

Thank you God!

No comments: