a friend's msn name reflects this discipline rightly so.
psychiatry makes me thankful for who i have in my life, my relatively uneventful childhood, no genetic predisposition, and my faith that all together are huge protective factors taken for granted. this is one of those areas in medicine where i'm almost nearly out of the most vulnerable age group to develop some of the most life-altering mental health illnesses. i still cannot swallow how life trajectories completely change upon diagnosis and the months and years of treatment required to stabilize mood and control symptoms. and then after all that, you're supposed to pick your life up and get a job, but due to missing out on completing education, how difficult is it from a self-esteem perspective and practical sense to find decent employment in the present job market?
it's a death sentence socially. and i'm not just talking about relationships.
my admiration to those who are able to integrate themselves back into the community, even if only at a very basic level, is of the highest.
1 comment:
Hey Lyds,
I agree 100%. I just finished a 3 week stint in psych last week and it's definitely eye opening and makes me so thankful for what I have and what I don't have. PTL!
Christine
PS. Miss you! See you at Garway's wedding! =D
Post a Comment