Thursday, November 25, 2010

My palliative care elective in a nutshell

Dear Dr. Hattersley,


I would like to thank you for the amazing elective experience at St. Peter's. I've learned so much about caring for patients and their families, personal reflections on the value of life and also i accepting death graciously and respectfully. I'm thankful for the opportunities to discuss and debrief on the more psychosocial aspects of care with our patients, especially to talk openly and honestly about the role of spirituality and faith.


I will take many of the perspectives gained from my time here and incorporate it into my future clinical encounters. Each patient has been imprinted on my heart and I think their stories stick so well because you've guided me through their lives but also the quality and quantity of time we've spent with them during rounds. Thank you for being, to me, such a great role model as a caring/ compassionate physician.


I hope to stay in touch - actually - I will make sure to stay in touch about carms and my own journey in the next few years! St. Peter's truly is a loving hopital for patients, families and might I add - students too!


Sincerely,

1 comment:

serly said...

i'm glad that you had such a good experience Lydia and that you are able to incorporate living out your faith into your work and studies. Keep on shining for the Lord!