I arrived in HK last night - Christmas Day - 9 pm.
I had started the day at 5:30 am to pack and eat breakfast. My travels started at 7:30 am from the South Station in Huai'an, to Shanghai at 1:30 pm, to Hongqiao Airport by 2 pm, waiting for 4 hours until my flight departed at 6:10 pm to Hong Kong.
It was a long day of travelling, but oh so relaxing.
As soon as I arrived at the gate in Hongqiao Airport, I knew I was heading home soon. There was a HK tour that was also heading home to HK. All of a sudden, my world was filled with Cantonese all around me. All of a sudden, I was whisked back into a world that I could fully participate in.
My mind was still filled with interpreting putonghua. Yet, my ears were hearing Cantonese. And my eyes were reading an newly bought English book - Factory Girls.
I was confusing myself.
When the flight attendant offered the meals and drinks, they started with Mandarin, and I answered in Mandarin. The next one started in Cantonese, to which I fully understood. I was ready to answer in Cantonese, when all of a sudden, she looked at the book in my hand, apologized and quickly switched channels to English. I laughed and told her, "It's alright. Any language is okay!" Because for once, I knew that I could answer her questions and understand her basic questions in all three languages. I felt confident in putonghua to answer what I wanted for a drink or which meal I wanted.
During that flight, I departed a whole new world, and entered into Hong Kong, which is helpful and necessary transition back into my reality. To fully rush back into Canada may cause more culture shock than I could handle. To enter into Hong Kong, where Chinese is still all around, and I can debrief with my relatives of my experiences with their own guidance of advice and thoughts of mainland china's development is the best fit for me. This morning's long conversation with my aunt, uncle and biu goh was a great example. Thank you God.
I also had the privilege of returning in time to see my cousin get baptized. This girl, two years younger than me, has changed 180 and God is still changing her. She is my reminder that anything is possible, and that God truly does transform a person to become more Christ-like. No one can will it on their own. He has tamed her tongue and her overall nature. She glows. She has truly become someone new. Everyone in the family has witnessed this. I had the privilege of participating in the celebrations at Sha Tin Baptist Church - huge church - absolutely different experience than other baptisms I have been to in other churches, and I have been to many. It is a real celebration!! It was a party!
I was thankful I had the opportunity to say a few words of encouragement and sharing to my cousin in front of her fellow baptismal candidates and their families at the snack time afterwards. I know that as much as personal testimonies are important to hear, it is also important to listen to the stories of the people who have witnessed their change. Those stories pay just as much tribute to the life-transforming power of God as the person who has been changed. Is not the bystander observations of Jesus' encounters and ministry the foundation of the gospels?
Finally, tomorrow, I have the chance to join my uncle and aunt as they visit some factories in Shenzhen and Dongguan. These are the places I just read about in Factory Girls. I am so excited! I don't know when I would ever get this opportunity again.
Thank you God for all these opportunities to learn, and to embrace. I am so hungry to experience more, and expand my perspectives.
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment