Sunday, April 29, 2012

Direction

John 21: 15-18


15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep."


Interestingly, the contrast in these words popped out at me, in question of "how would you like me to serve your people?" 


Feeding of spiritual food to the young, the new Christians (lambs)
Then... taking care of them, governing, guiding them as they develop into mature Christians (sheep)
Then... feeding of spiritual food / teaching to the mature Christians (sheep)


There was a season of working the young, the new - literally the children, as you've encouraged me in the last few weeks in re-uniting with parents of previous VBC kids. There was a time to govern, to take lead in leadership on various committees... my final season of service was definitely within the realm of teaching, and delving into the word through the old testament study with the women's cell group, and also in teaching sunday school. After MIM, my hunger for solid food has become even greater. Lord, show me in what capacity / form that might be, and point me towards the women you'd want me to pour my prayers and heart into. I know also that He has given a burden for intergenerational ministry. Not sure what that would look like, but informal ways is perhaps the best start... 


I've also been asked to help play piano again. Not sure. There was a time when worship ministry was how I wanted to be involved - but really, that changed quickly in university. I enjoy worshipping and praying so much more, to participate freely without the confines of the piano. That is something short and maybe short term.


In front of my eyes, the younger bros have fully matured and are guiding me, and telling me to pray and consider it. It is amazing, and an encouragement. I thank God for opening my eyes and heart to the people at MCBC again. It's been awhile. 


From Six Weeks in Sudan - "maybe having your heart broken like that is what keeps it open.” 


Lord, help me not run away. 

No comments: