- this was a great experience where I got to see the Bursch procedure used to treat stress incontinence.
- basically, the patient suffered from slight urination during bouts of cough because the bladder could not close properly
- the procedure involved suturing and stabilizing the tissues located around the bladder so that they can, in turn, stabilize the bladder, and makes sure it closes fully to prevent further incontinence
- relapses are possible, and with each repeat surgery, the time of operation is longer, and becomes more difficult
- throughout the procedure, Dr. Chou was constantly doing something, and Dr. King and the fellow were constantly debating the validity of different treatments being used to treat stress incontinence.
- there was also a clerk, an anaesthesiologist, and two nurses involved in the surgery
- I must say though, after the experience, I don't think I want to do any more surgeries until i have a better background knowledge
- And for now, given my low skill level, I would rather go into the clinics and see more patients, than stand watching an operation which takes more time, and also goes beyond my knowledge
- also, I must add that after watching Team Medical Dragon/ IRYU, I am less intrigued by the OR, because I saw much during the jdorama, it really captured the OR atmosphere, and I'm thankful that I did stumble upon the show last term!
- Dr. Chou had much to say about Obs and Gyn, and I look forward to scheduling a clinic afternoon with her in the near future on a Friday
Wednesday, January 23: Rheumatology Clinic with Dr. Janet Pope
- this was definitely a better, and more interesting experience. I got to see a whole slew of patients, from old to young, and the fact that I had actually learned about all the various arthritis/rheumatology in general prior to going, made learning and observing much more interesting. Perhaps this is a strategy I will use from now on - attend observerships with doctors in the fields that I have already learned about in class
- Some of the conditions I saw were RA, OA, scleroderma, Sjogern's Syndrome (dry eyes, dry mouth, increased risk of lymphoma), Raynaud's, connective tissue disease (increased risk of fibromyalgia), pauciarticular arthritis (young child)
- Dr. Pope is a great teacher, and perhaps even more exciting for me right now is her recommendation to work with Dr. Carter Thorne in Newmarket, which is really close to home for me! If I am able to have a placement for a month or so, it'd be the perfect opportunity to make some money, while also staying at home, and the opportunity to be involved and serve at Kin village, or other areas.
- I am very thankful to God for this connection, and hopefully something will work out!
No comments:
Post a Comment